Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have bee naccused of being an aggressive grandfather toward

Customer Question

I have bee naccused of being an aggressive grandfather toward the children and therefore I can not see them or be with me, and that they have substantial fear of me. This statements are totaly untrue. These are my sons children and he is going thru a separation. Can I sue for libel ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.
Are you saying the mother is saying this?And to whom is she making these statements?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes the mother is saying this.
she made these statements to her lawyer, in response to my son's lawyer in requesting access to the childerm
Yes you can sue her for libel. She is telling lies about you to others and is harming your reputation. But the limitation period for suing in Ontario is two years and so it may be better for your son for you to hold off suing until the family law issues, or at least the ones relating to the children, are resolved. You don't want to cause your son to be in a worse position because you are suing the children's mother I assume and you don't want her to want more support from your spouse to pay for your lawsuit or judgment as well, I assume. So I suggest asking your son to ask his lawyer whether it is OK to sue now or whether you should wait. Does that make sense?