Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

I am new to Canada and was told that I have to wear by law

Customer Question

I am new to Canada and was told that I have to wear by law an helmet when using a push bike. Is this true? What are the legal consequences If I choose not to do so? Improsonment? Fine? how high? Thanks Andi
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 10 months ago.
This is only true depending on your age and province. In some provinces, there are bike helmet laws for minors (see http://www.cycle-helmets.com/canada_helmets.html). However, in others, such as Quebec, there are no such laws (e.g. recent(ish) article- http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/robert-po%C3%ABti-to-decide-on-mandatory-bike-helmet-law-in-quebec-1.3052565). So, if you are in Quebec it is recommended that you wear a helmet but it is not the law. In other provinces where it is the law (i.e. if you're intending on travelling throughout the country), you should know that it's just a by-law and not a criminal offence. So, even where there exist mandatory helmet laws, if you are caught without a helmet you wouldn't get any jail- you may just get a small fine, and if it's you're first time and you're new to the country they may even let you off with a warning.Hopefully that answers your question.
Just an added point- even if you are caught and found guilty, since it's not a criminal offence, you would not get a criminal record or anything like that for not wearing a helmet.
Sorry to bother you but would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive compensation for my services. Thank you