Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My neighbour offered to buy in an email my lot and I accepted

Customer Question

My neighbour offered to buy in an email my lot and I accepted it. The next day I changed my mind. Can he sue me to sell?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, just happened
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a dock on my ocean front lot he has been leasing from me while I was away. He wanted to continue using it while I am back but I said he could if he commences construction of his own lot. After he saw the difficulty in building one he offered me $280k and I countered at $290k and he accepted. The next day I felt anxiety over the idea of selling it and sent him an back an email stating that. He has not yet replied and I now worry he may consider suing me to sell it. Can he do that?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: like what?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately, he may very well sue and could sue successfully. The law is that for the sale of land there must be an agreement in writing but there is an agreement in writing because you were made an offer in an email you counter offered in an email and that counter offer was accepted. So it is very likely the case that the court will say that there is a binding contract and that you are required to adhere to its terms. I suggest that as a next step you immediately consult with a local lawyer who does real estate matters face to face.
This question has appeared on my open list. That generally means you've replied to me. But I don't see a reply. If you did send one please try again.