Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I have a question about fines I received while I was drunk.

Customer Question

I have a question about fines I received while I was drunk. I am a recovering alcoholic, have been sober for a few years and I am trying to clean up fines and my record. Can I appeal fines, eve after a few years?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 5 months ago.
Generally you only have 30 days after the sentence to appeal it. If it has been several years, I cannot see any likelihood of success in attempting to appeal, even if you have since become sober. However, if they are fines under provincial statute (e.g. non-criminal) you can apply for an extension of time to pay the fines. In the same paperwork and/or if you go before a judge to argue for the extension, you can also add in a part about how you've turned your life around and now request they lower the fines. It is unlikely to work but there is little harm in trying.Hopefully that is of assistance.