Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

We lease a farm property and hay land. We have done

Customer Question

Hello. We lease a farm property and hay land. We have done so for 9 years. Our written agreement has expired but we had a verbal agreement with the land owner to extend it for another two years which would take us into the end of 2017.
At the beginning of April the land owners sin advised us by phone that he was giving us notice to vacate the property by Mat 31 2016.
Today he gave us a written eviction notice and said we had to be off the farm by May31, 2016.
Do we have to be off the farm by this date or is the law similar for residential tenants and 90 days is the timeframe.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Can you tell me what state this is in?.Do you currently have crops growing on the land?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We live in Canada Nova Scotia. We have a beef cattle operation
Ok, I will have to opt out and get the question transferred over to the Canada law category.. .thanksBarrister
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
There is no law similar to that applies to residential tenants but that isn't really the point what actually matters here is that you have a fixed term tenancy agreement and it cannot be terminated early unless there was a provision in that agreement (I know it's verbal) that allows early termination. Do you see what I mean?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes but the land owner does not remember this conversation
Then tell the landlord that you are not leaving and that he can seek an order for eviction. It will be his burden of proof to prove that you are not entitled to stay there. Hopefully you will be able to attack his credibility or perhaps even have a witness?