Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Pearl, JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I'm trying to help my brother in law. He was just terminated from his job with cause after getting into a car accident while driving the company car. We are located in Canada and he is unionized. He has been with the company several years and after the accident, he was told he's a liability
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I know the company has had a few recent insurance claims - a death just last week and a few on the job injuries. No one was hurt in this accident, except my brother in laws hands and knees. The company truck is a write off and the other car might be as well. Just wondering if he can contest for grievence or at least a lay off so he can collect EI. He is the primary income earner and this is going to cause several challenges for their family (3 young children). He was not under the influence - he actually tried to avoid a pack of coyotes...
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.
I am sorry to hear this. Is this the first time that he has been in an accident?Have there ever been any incidents of concern with him at work? Has he ever received any written warnings?How long has he worked there for?Has he spoken to his union yet?Did the employer allow him to tell his side of the story?