Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I am in Alberta and got a speeding ticket 156 on

Customer Question

I am in Alberta and got a speeding ticket for going 156 on the highway in a 100 zone I got a pink slip summons and there is no fine amount I am wondering how much on avg a fine is so I can Save up and also is it possible to tell them I am a student and don't make enough money to pay it all at once and if I could pay it in installments
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I have a BC licence and the cop was very nice and did not impound my car or suspend my licence as it was a company car (my parents comany)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
The fine can be close to $400. Fortunately this is not considered an excessive speed (160Km/hr or over). But let me explain what you can do. You can plead not guilty. Then in court you can speak to the police officer and try and make a deal. Say you will plead guilty to a lesser speed to reduce the fine and demerit points. The police office will speak to the Crown and they will want to make a deal because they don't want to spend court time on a trial.The fine will be much less.Yes you can ask to pay this over a few months and explain you are a student.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I forgot to mention I am studying out if Alberta and comming for my court date will be hard during my school semister can I hire like a fight my ticket person to fight my case for me as I will most probably not be able to make it
Yes you can. They will try to make the same deal that I was explaining to you.