Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

You are hired job based on your level of experience but

Customer Question

You are hired for a job based on your level of experience but you did not meet the education requirement.
Can an employer ask for education credentials, even though you were denied a pay negioation as you lacked the specific education requirement?
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They had stated I did not have the ideal education and that three years of equivalent expierence along with an additional three years of expierence would meet the requirements set out as degree in business or commerce with three years of expierence.But now they want education credentials??
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
How long have you worked there for?Are you saying they are asking you to prove credentials they know you do not have?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have worked in the office for 6 six years. It's a promotion in the same division . My post secondary schooling is not ideal or it did not meet their education requirement for the job posting. It was my experience that screened my resume for an interview. We I went to negotiate the salary I was told it was denied as I did not have the ideal education. Then I accepted the job offer as is but they want copies of education credentials as indicated on my resume. Am I required to provide them even though they did not contribute to me getting the job or helping me get a better salary
Are you saying that your resume is not actually valid?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My resume is valid. I don't think you understand the question. I am not sure how simpler I can state it.Can an employer ask for your education credentials if they warrant them erevelant to the job screening criteria and salary negoation?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I feel it is not right to ask for it as it they clearly stated my lack of ideal education did not meet their criteria. I was hired based on my experienced. If my education was a part of the reason I got hired then yes I should provide them with evidence. But it was noted twice I didn't meet the education requirement .
Yes they can. If you had in a resume whether it is relied on or not the employer can ask you to verify what is on the resume.You can try and say that you already discussed the problem with your education and you didn't get the position you wanted as a result so it doesn't make sense that they want this now. But if they insist they may dismiss you if you don't provide it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I actually signed a job offer and start on May 16. They have notified hr and payroll. They want this just to put on file in case there files get audited (I was told) which is why I struggle with the idea or asking for something that never contributed to me getting job.
Then try telling them this. But otherwise I think you should just prove what they are asking.