Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I'm part of a union and a co worker was caught stealing out

Customer Question

I'm part of a union and a co worker was caught stealing out of her till, we are bartenders I was doing the tips and she gave the stolen money to me it was $20 and I distributed the tips I wasn't aware of it otherwise I wouldn't of took it, the only reason I did take it was because she had a iou of $20 and she paid it back because I told her that taking tips without any of your co workers isn't right. She was terminated and so was I.I became suspicious of her and told a manager that they need to look at the cameras and see if she took the cash. My boss never asked the manager if I spoke to him before I was suspended then terminated. Do I have a chance to get my job back?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have a union representing me and they will have lawyers if it goes to arbitration
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: Just that I spoke to a manager that they need to look into my coworker because I was suspicious of her maybe stealing the money but wasn't 100%
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
Yes you do. Aside from the fact that you didn't do what they said the employer is required by law to provide you with what is called procedural fairness.You have the right to a full and impartial investigation and part of that investigation requires them to give you a chance to tell your side of the story. They should have done that and also considered the videotape.They treated you unlawfully and so it is quite possible that they will be ordered to give you your job back.