Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I have recently completed an exorbitantly expensive post-divorce

Customer Question

I have recently completed an exorbitantly expensive post-divorce litigation with my ex-spouse. For the past year the fees were in excess of $40,000 of which my lawyer estimates 60% was related to "protection of assets". My lawyer believed that the cost attributed to "protection of assets" should be income tax deductible.
My accountant cannot find any reference to such deductiblity. I did some searching on the website Canlii but could not find any support.
Can you provide any supporting
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
Legal fees are only deductible when they are to obtain either spousal support and child support. Otherwise there are entirely on nondeductible. I'm very sorry to have to tell you the news. Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No problem with your response - "knowledge is power" - my problem has always been with the intractability of my Ex and the very expensive obscurantism of her lawyers, reminiscent of Bleak House!Thanks anyways.
I understand completely and I'm terribly sorry that that happened to you.To be honest one of the easons why work on the site is because of the family law system and how it has failed.