Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My short term disability was accepted from nov 2 2015 to February

Customer Question

My short term disability was accepted from nov 2 2015 to February 26 2016. The first 3 weeks of February I was on modified return to work , but, at week 3 , my depression got worse , and I started taking day s off work. Even though I was on my last week of modified work. I contacted my doctor , and he told me that their treatment was not suitable to my depression. My doctor gave me a paper saying to my employer that I was not able to return to work till further medical notice. I spoke with hr at my workplace, and she told me to have my doctor send the letter to acclaim, witch is the company that deals with the short term disability claim. My dr did send the info. Nobody from acclaim got in touch with me for 6 weeks. I started to make phone calls to my hr, acclaim, demanding an explanation on why I have not been contacted. Acclaim got back to me saying that they did sent a letter of denial for my claim as of February 28. I told her I never received any information, no email, no phone call , no letter. I even went to my old address , as I was told by acclaim that they might have had it sent there. But no, it was never sent. .....I think they forgot!!!! Because the next 2 days u received a parcel via courier and 2 day s later they sent one to my house. It said that the claim eas denied because of not sufficient medical information. To make a long story short, even my hr agreed that they took too long to inform me. It has been 9 weeks now, and I was planning to gradually return to work next week, I received a phone call from acclaim saying that my claim has been denied again. Due to the fact of not sufficient medical info on my doctor s part...... I feel like they have been playing wit me for the past 2 months. And they still are. ....what should I do. My depression has even got worse because of the financial stress I have sustained .please reply
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Employment Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes , 3 weeks ago , Melissa, the lady I was dealing with from acclaim, went on a maternity leave. Nobody informed me of that . And I have been dealing with this new disability manager Shannon for the past 3 weeks. When I first contacted her, she had no info about my claim and she told me she would get back to me after. She wasted more time. Because my doctor sent 29 pages of info as Melissa requested, sent on April 4. Contacted Shannon to find out if she had received it, and she says no. I contacted my doctor, and the secretary told me that they were sent April 4. I called back Shannon, but she was already gone for the day , and it was Friday. I left her the message on answering machine , that the info was all sent the devious week as I told her earlier..... She called me back on Monday to tell me yes, it was received , but it was on another file ???? I think she wasted more time . In short , I have been waiting 9 weeks to find out that it was denied again. I just found out today. I think my claim was put on the back burner, and they were just waiting for me to get fed up and give up.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.
Are you saying you did provide more information just now but the claim was denied again on the same grounds, that is lack of medical information? What province are you in please?