Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My ex is receiving mail, i thought all mail hab been address

Customer Question

My ex is receiving mail, i thought all mail hab been address changed apparently not all. She informed me by text message she has some of my mail and some looks like important documents! Informed me she would hold onto it until she receives an old piece of furniture from me, our separation agreement was signed 4 yrs ago dividing everything, so this piece of furniture is after the fact. Is illegal for her to do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
Yes. But before I offer options on how to proceed can you tell me what you have tried so far?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't reply to text, I want to know all my options first. This is first I heard or knew she has any of my mail!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So in other words I haven't done anything yet.
I suggest that your first step be to contact the police and ask for some assistance. Ask if they will attend at the house with you to retrieve your mail that your former spouse is refusing to provide you even though she has acknowledged that she has it. She obviously has no right to the piece of furniture but the police will not be interested in that in any event. If that does not work I suggest your next be to either send her a letter yourself or retain a lawyer to send her a letter demanding the mail by a deadline that you set and threatening a lawsuit. In the letter state that you also seeking an order for your costs. Does that help as a starting point?