Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My ex lives in BC and pays child support to FMEP who sends

Customer Question

My ex lives in BC and pays child support to FMEP who sends it to MEP where I live in AB. He had a few years where he owed quite a bit of arrears. He is mostly consistent with paying now but currently is a few months behind. There was a Leon placed on his house which he recently sold. MEP told him that they are withholding $15,000 for an undetermined amount of time incase he doesn't pay. He is in arrears of only $2700 right now. Can they do this?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
They can do this and if he doesn't want them to be able to withhold this amount of money then he would have to obtain a court order. In essence he would have to sue the government.Does that answer your question?