Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I looked after my mom months a contract was drawn up

Customer Question

I looked after my mom for 4 months a contract was drawn up for me to get paid. It was signed by my mother and her power of attorney (my brother) and a witness. They never paid the monthly invoices.Upon her death the executors(my brother and my sister )refuses to pay me even though there is money in the bank to pay me. What's my next step
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
What is the reason that they are providing for not paying you?How much are you owed?What province is this in please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is in Ontario and I am owed 12,000.00 but willing to settle for less. The power of attorny my brother signed all the invoices and we had a wittnes. There is 16,000.00 in the bank but they just refuse to pay me. I am also part heir to the estate.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My sister who is executor of the will is trying to pull all the money out of the bank so she doesn't have to pay me. My mom's funeral is on Saturday. I don't know is she has the death certificate yet
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I hire a lawyer and sue???
You didn't tell me the reason why they don't want to get paid in money. Could you just explain that a bit please?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is no legitament reason They told me that they don't have to pay me just out right refusing no excuse no reason..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I even took a copy of the contract and bills and dropped them off to the estate lawyer.
I posted a very lengthy answer and it is not on your post. The site is having serious problems and my answers are not posting. In fact I can't even see your answers unless I read them in my email.I will try again shortly and I apologize for this.
The estate will owe you the money. If the money in the bank account is going to the funeral expenses and your sister is correct. Funeral expenses always come first.If there are more assets than just his bank account then you can make a claim to the state.You can essentially sue the estate and self represent or you can retain a lawyer to represent you.The best approach is likely to have a lawyer send a demand letter threatening a lawsuit. That usually works. Then after that you can retain the lawyer to sue, or self represent if necessary.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The funeral expenses have all been paid for except for around 1500.00 extra fees for the internment. So there is still plenty of money left in the bank to pay me. Is step one to send them a demand letter first. And thank you so much for your help. Can you refer me to a lawyer close to marmara or Campbell ford ???Ontario.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I take a copy of my demand letter to the estate lawyer???
The site is malfunctioning. I don't know if this will reach you now or not.Yes. Send a demand letter both to the executor and the lawyer.
The site seems to be working now and now I can see all your posts. You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.The number is:1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)