Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I have been employed by an agency past16 years on

Customer Question

I have been employed by an agency for the past16 years on full time basis. It is an unionized work place. After obtaining a bachelor's degree I have applied for a clinical position which was within my rights. The position was open to internal candidates. There was 3 people who were intervied and today I've been informed that another person was granted the position because according to the supervisor the person did better with her interview questions. This person is currently employed by the same company on a casual basis and casual employees are not unionized. It seems that my work experience and length of time I've been working for this company is absolutely not being taken under consideration.
Of course I'm hurt however...should I file a grieviency considering that only the interview process was taken under consideration?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
Are you saying that you believe you did not get this position because you are in the union?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What I'm asking is how big of a role seniority plays with government union employees in Manitoba . I need to know before I start arbitration.
The question is whether the collective agreement was breached. The collective agreement will very specifically deal with seniority issues. If you are not sure what the agreement says or means in this regard your next step should be to sit down with the union rep and ask and also ask whether the union lawyer feels you have a strong enough case to go ahead. Does that help as a starting point?