Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My ex husband got his licence taken away driving

Customer Question

My ex husband got his licence taken away for drunk driving at the age of 20, failed to get his licence back, then backed into someone without a licence we ended up in court and he got an additional 6 months suspension. he recently moved to Saskatchewan and got caught driving without a license, registration or insurance, he has court on Friday can anyone tell me what might happen?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 6 months ago.
If Friday is the scheduled trial date, the Crown will likely first offer him a plea bargain, perhaps only pleading guilty to the driving without insurance and/or license, and dropping the driving without registration. If he's found guilty of less offences (i.e. because he only pleads to 1 or 2 due to the plea deal offered by the Crown) then the corresponding fine amount(s) will also likely be less. If, however, he decides to run the trial, and he is unsuccessful, then he could be found guilty of all charges, in which case the fine amount(s) may be higher, and the Crown may even seek some jail time, depending on how seriously they treat the charges.Hopefully that is of assistance.