How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 96418
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had filed bankruptcy but not yet discharged. I

Customer Question

I had filed for personal bankruptcy but not yet discharged.
I then received an insurance settlement and wanted to cancel the bankruptcy.
Apparently, once filed it can't be cancelled? Is this true?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.
You have the right to change the bankruptcy to a consumer proposal. If the Trustee in Bankruptcy will not agree then you can retain another Trustee to do the consumer proposal. The consumer proposal is where you and the creditors come to an agreement about what you will pay them. They have so far expected that they will never get paid back so they are quite likely going to agree to the proposal. This converting to a consumer proposal is ideal and quite common where the person who has declared bankruptcy gets a higher paying job or gets a windfall such as an inheritance or insurance payout.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Thats what I thought.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome. As we are done please rate me before you leave the site. I cannot receive credit for my work until you do. I hope things work out.

Related Canada Law Questions