Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I live in NB and want to setup a prenup (or more precisely

Customer Question

I live in NB and want to setup a prenup (or more precisely a co-habitation agreement) with my partner.
I have a sample prenup that I would want to have reviewed and maybe re- written and make certain meets all the legal requirements. I would like to do this prior to meeting with a lawyer here in NB to hopefully save some costs.
In other words, I would like to have a mostly completed agreement so I can bring to a NB lawyer so that I can minimize my cost.
I would ask what the cost would be to provide this service as well.
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.
It is not likely that a lawyer will agree to do the contract this way. The templates you have are not adequate unless you are using one done by a lawyer for another client.And each lawyer does their contract their own way. If you find a lawyer that will agree I assume they will charge you at their hourly rate. That can vary from $150 an hour - $850 an hour. In most cases a lawyer will charge a set fee for a simple contract. You can call around and see if you can find a lawyer who will agree. But the most important thing here is to get it right and to be sure your partner has independent legal advice and that you both make full and frank disclosure. If this does not happen the contract won't be worth much if anything. I hope that helps as a starting point.