Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I live with my girlfriend and here 3 children - a 14

Customer Question

Hello. I live with my girlfriend and here 3 children - a 14 year old girls, an 11 year old boy and a 5 year old boy. I have an 8 year son who stays with us every second weekend. Last night, the 14 year old girl got drunk and snuck out of the house - with 3 friends - while we were sleeping. The 3 friends were having a sleepover with the 14 year old girl which we knew of and approved. When we went to bed we checked on the girls to make sure all 4 were ok and safe. We discovered their absence when my girlfriend got up - by chance - at 1:30am and decided to check on the girls. She called her daughter, located her, picked her and her 3 friends up (all were drinking alcohol), and took them back to our place. My question is this: Can I, or could I, be held responsible in the eyes of the law if something were to have happened to one or more of those girls?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.
I am having trouble posting my answer as it doesn't go up so I am testing to see if it goes up now.