Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

If I am unable to pay my credit card debt is my wife liable

Customer Question

If I am unable to pay my credit card debt is my wife liable for any portion of it? My wife did not sign for the cards and did not receive a spousal card.
My wife received a spousal card on one account but did not sign for the card. Is she liable?
Is credit card company able to seize any of my assets?
What is credit card liability upon death?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.
Your wife is not liable for your debts. The credit card company can seize your assets if they get a judgment. The debts are not extinguished at death but rather your estate becomes liable and no one can inherit until the debts are paid off as they come first. Your wife is not liable for the spousal card even if she signed it as this is a supplementary card on your account.Does that clarify the law?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have life insurance policies with my wife named as beneficiary. In the event of my death can the credit card company seize any of the proceeds from the life insurance?
No they cannot as that money does not form part of the estate but instead goes straight to your wife.