Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I currently have outstanding fines an unregistered

Customer Question

I currently have outstanding fines for operating an unregistered vehicle, parking an unregistered vehicle, and a promise to appear with voluntary payment for operating an unregistered vehicle, all in Alberta.
Now the first two fines I went to court and was ordered to pay by a specific date. Well I missed the due date but have the money to pay them now. However on the notice from court it sais "days in default" 5 days. So now I'm scared to go to the police to pay off the fine because I'm worried they will put me in jail simply for being late on the payment. If I go to the police station to turn myself in and volunteer to pay the fine. Will I still go to jail?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.
It is not likely that you will end up in jail. If you go in and pay the fine that will likely end the matter. If they ask you why the fine was late, be sure you have a valid excuse and do not say something like you forgot or thought it did not matter. Also, be sure to make it clear that you are sorry that you paid the fine late and sorry that committed these offences and that none of that will ever happen again. Let me know if you need any further clarification.