Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

The CDN company I work had a judgement placed against

Customer Question

The CDN company I work for has had a judgement placed against them from a American vendor. But now a US collections company are now harassing our clients saying we owe them money. The judgement was placed 30 days ago in canada. Are they legally allowed to harass our clients for the money? They are sending emails to presidents, and whomever else they can email and call. Our client saying if this doesn't stop they wont be able to do business with us anymore because of this constant harassment from this US collections company. Need to know if they are allowed to do this?? please help
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so, appreciate any help
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.
Are you certain that this is being done by a US collection agency and not a Canadian collection agency?Have you received any sort of notice of garnishment?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
100 % percent positive a US collections company. Received notice from queens bench that a judgement was placed.
The government in Canada has no way of regulating the collection company in the US. If they were in Canada you could get their licence suspended or revoked. I suggest that you send a letter to them by Registered Mail or if possible have a lawyer send the letter. In the letter state that they are harming you business and if they continue to do so you will sue them for damages. And tell the if you are required to do that you will also seek punitive damages and an order for your costs as this is deliberate and willful on their part.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your answer, unfortunately I knew that collection companies could not do this in Canada, but did not know if they (US Company) could do it from US company to a Canadian company. They are very much harassing clients
They are out of control and likely thing they can do what they like which is why a lawyer threatening a lawsuit is likely your best next step.