Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

My Brother worked lady doing residential cleaning in

Customer Question

My Brother worked for a lady doing residential cleaning in Victoria BC. There are several private houses and a verbal contract to clean vacation home rentals. 2 months ago my Brother and this lady agreed that she would hand the business over to him. They agreed she would stay on to help him, and do the scheduling for $500 a month, for a few months till she stepped away. She is now a property manager, and contractually can't be involved in this business.
Recently things have become complicated. My Brother has essentially secured the vacation home rental contract, and is in direct contact with the company who in a recent email to this lady, told her they are looking forward to doing business with my brother and "bye bye" in other words.
My brother has power of attorney over the bank account used for this cleaning business, which was empty when he took over. Yet this lady has been taking money out here and there to a total of roughly $300. Now she is telling my Brother she's considering coming back to Victoria and taking over the company.
My question is what can my Brother do to secure this business and quit dealing with this ladies drama? We're on the path of him creating his own business name and GST number, and opening his own bank account.
I don't think this lady has much if any business sense and has no written contracts. I think all she has is a business name, and maybe a GST number.
I'm not sure this is the type of matter I can get answers from through this method, but since the small scale and simple nature of the business I'm not sure if it will be that complicated.
**** *****
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
How much did she take out of the bank account and why did your brother not say anything when she did?It was agreed that he owned the business and she was just working for him now, right? I just want to make sure I am getting this right.