Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I am looking into suing my lawyer JA: The

Customer Question

I am looking into suing my lawyer for negligence
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: In the middle of my divorce proceedings my lawyer dumped me as a client due to illness.. after she took all the money I had. My husband was the main bread winner but we owned a successful company jointly. Because I never could afford another lawyer he got everything.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Well I would like to do both things.. get what I am owed from the company we owned jointly that is still running ... but under a different name and sue my lawyer for the hardship her failing to follow through caused me.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry to hear of this terrible situation It is not easy to sue a lawyer sucesfully. As well, it may not be negligence if the lawyer had to retire due to illness. At the same time, though, if the lawyer was negligent in managing your case before the lawyer got sick, or if the lawyer did not take appropriate steps to protect you one they got sick, then you may indeed have a case for negligence. It is dangerous to sue a lawyer without being sure that you have a good case. The reason why is that if you sue the lawyer and lose you will get stuck with the bulk of the lawyer's legal fees. And, if you are suing the lawyer who puts the lawsuit through their insurance you will be dealing with a very powerful insurance company. For these reasons, your best next step would be to consult with an experienced family lawyer face to face with a view to having that lawyer review the facts in great detail and then provide you with a legal opinion as to whether or not suing the lawyer would be a good idea or too risky. If you cannot afford to retain a lawyer to sue for you you can then self-represent, though your chances of winning a lawsuit when up against a lawyer of the insurers is not that great. I cannot answer your second question on this same post. That is a separate issue and you have to start a new post for that question. If you do want to go ahead with that second question you can put my name into the question, it is legal ease, and then I will be the one to answer. At that point in time I will have several questions for you regarding the second issue before I can answer.