Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My neighbor wants me to move my camper, its been there for

Customer Question

My neighbor wants me to move my camper, its been there for 13 years, i do plan on giving it to my son this summer. He'd like to install a fence down the property line out of spite. The camper is probably 1/2 inch encroaching there property line, we do have a shared fence thats encroached 1 inch on my side. He said hes putting it up regardless weather my campers gone or not, can he restrict access to my property? He's extremely irrational, and prone to violence.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.
Your neighbour can put up a fence along the property line. If you object, it is not likely that a court would find you to be correct, but in any event if the neighbour puts the fence just inside the property line there is nothing you can do about it. If your neighbour needs access to your property to put up the fence and you do not allow it it is very possible that the neighbour could get a court order to get access if it is needed to put up the fence. I do not know what city you live in, but in many cities there are bylaws that allow a neighbour to get a permit from the city so that they can access their property through a neighbours property. As a first step you may want to contact bylaw enforcement to find out if there is such a bylaw where you live. In terms of your question about whether he can restrict access to your property, he cannot prevent you from being able to enter your own property, but otherwise I am not sure what you are asking, so if I have missed that point please explain further.
It seems like there may have been a glitch in the site. If you got another message from me please disregard it as it was meant for another customer.