Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My son was charged with fraud over 5000 dollars. Actual amount

Customer Question

My son was charged with fraud over 5000 dollars. Actual amount was 6000. He didn't phone the insurance company. I did. He said we had been broke into. He was scared of being caught by me. He had sold the stuff. I believed him so I phoned the insurance company. He has an I Q of 66 and is FASD. What will happen to him in court
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.
I am sorry to hear this. Have you made restitution to the insurance company?Has he ever been charged before?Can you prove that he is mentally disabled?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He didn't collect any money. Yes I have the psychological assessments
No he has no charges as an adult
I see. So they insurance company never paid you anything. Your son sounds like he is not really able to understand fully what he did. He knew he wanted to lie to you so you would not figure out what he did but he could not have know that you would call the insurance company and that this would be insurance fraud. It would make sense for you to consider retaining a criminal lawyer who can likely quite easily convince the Crown that your son is not able to form the intention to commit fraud.And it could be that the Crown will agree to diversion and that is where your son is permitted to make amends to society in an alternative way such as by doing some community service and then the crown would withdraw the charges.If your son is receiving any services from the government then you should consider getting some help from his worker or from social worker if you know anyone like that.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We have been told it is an indictable offense and is going to trial. Why ?
Because the amount is over $5000 and they don't understand that your son is disabled. So you most assuredly need a criminal lawyer for your son.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What's the likelihood of a jail sentence ?
Given the circumstances I don't think that a jail sentence is at all likely.