Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have a townhouse in Oakville Ontario and 2 of my tenants

Customer Question

hi I have a townhouse in Oakville Ontario and 2 of my tenants had fight one of them ask me to kick out the other (leaving in basement ) I disagree with him then he call city over me.. now city ask me to remove 2 of tenants leaving in the basement out and they will have fire department come over to inspect the townhouse. what should I do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.
Are you saying this is an illegal suite?If so can you bring this into compliance or is this a zoning issue?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That what the city said to me!! (If so can you bring this into compliance or is this a zoning issue) what is this mean?
Are there physical things you need to make the apartment legal. Or is the problem that in your area you cannot have two separate families living in one house?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They said it illegal to have 2 apartment in the house
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Because it is townhouse.
I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.I can only post up and back over this site.If it is illegal to have two apartments then you may have to evict your tenant unfortunately. You are going to be facing fines and also will likely be ordered to evict the tenant.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How much are you charge for talking over the phone?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will be more confidence over the phone please
I already answered and told you that I cannot speak on the telephone.I said:I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.I can only post up and back over this site.If it is illegal to have two apartments then you may have to evict your tenant unfortunately. You are going to be facing fines and also will likely be ordered to evict the tenant.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What about agreement I had made with the tanents
You can wait and see what happens and whether the fire department is going to come by and whether you are going to get a fine or an order. This could blow over as they only came because of the complaint. But you may have to evict the tenant if it does not.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there a law that can't have 5 bedrooms in the apartment?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Or can't rent basement apartment?
There is likely a zoning by-law that says you cannot have two separate families living in your home.But I cannot know for sure. It sounds like this is what they are telling you. You can call the city tomorrow and ask them.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If so they said can't rent more than 3 people in the house. What about family having 6 members.? I don't understand why can more than 3 people living
It is because it is not about the number of people but the number of families. Many neighbourhoods are only permitted to have one single family living in a home.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If in the contract said no smoke in the house. And the tenant smoke whet in the house can it call broke the contract?
Yes. If the tenant breaches the lease like that then you can evict the tenant.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As a owner of the house. Am I have a right to put lock over thermometer? Because the tenants are playing with it?
That is not a follow up question. Please rate my answers now as I cannot get paid until you do. Please start your new question on a new post. Put my name into the question by saying that this question is for Legal Ease and I will answer right away. You have a subscription so will not be charged for this new post.Thanks