Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I was -off last week after about 7 months or 1056 hours

Customer Question

I was laid-off last week after about 7 months or 1056 hours working in sales in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Industry wide sales are very bad so I was let go for "lack of work". That's code "A" on my record of employment.My final check included my unused vacation and my final salary. I have read that I am entitled to 1 week of severance too?Can you please advice and let me know if I am correct how can I let my former employer know that need to pay me more by law? I am also due some outstanding sales commissions for a sales that's not fully implemented. My former employer has promised to pay me the commission in due course which is about $3500. If they owe me severance I do not want to annoy them and risk not paying my the commissions and giving me a favorable reference.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.
Did your employer give you one week's notice so that you worked for one week before you left your employment?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I was advised on Mar 31 and left at the same time. No advance notice was given
You are entitled to either one weeks notice or one week's pay in lieu of notice. You are entirely correct that you are entitled to the one week of severance pay as well.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you. Can you tell me the best way to let them know without antagonizing anyone?
Why not to send them a friendly letter asking when you will be receiving your one week's pay pursuant to the employment standards act?