Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

What should I claim my husband died jan. 15 2015

Customer Question

Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for your loss.But I don't understand the question just yet.Please start from the beginning and set of the basic facts and then explain what kind claim you are asking about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband passed jan 15/15 I filed his taxes last year, then I received 2500.00 for death benefit, and his cpp. I am receiving my cpp but I am still working. The gov. Combines both cpp & give me a percentage of that, so do I claim the 2500.00 & cpp?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking whether you have to declare the $2500 for death benefits as part of your income for tax purposes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes& cpp
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
CPP survivor benefits which is essentially a pension that you will receive is included in income for tax purposes.But the $2500 is not income. It is to help defer the cost of the funeral and other matters and is not part of your income for tax purposes.