Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I would like to know if a woman who got married in British

Customer Question

Hi, I would like to know if a woman who got married in British Columbia on March 25th, 1983, with no matrimonial agreement, can legally sell a house that she received by estate without her husband's consent? (Please give me the law(s) and article(s) applicable)
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
Is this house there matrimonial home?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know what matrimonial home mean (my main language is French), but the couple does not live there and the house is situated in Montreal (Quebec). The couple lives in British Columbia, while the house that is going to be sold is in Montreal (Quebec). Thanks.
There is no need for the spouse to consent. That consent is only needed if the spouses like in the house as their home. That is not the case here and so no consent at all is needed.Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually, I need a proof (the section of the law, or at least, a court decision) saying that according to their matrimonial regime of 1983, they can sell the house without the consent of their spouse. Thanks.
I am not able to provide the law unfortunately. You will need to consult with a local lawyer if you want more than general legal information about Quebec. There are no lawyers from Quebec that are active on this site right now.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not asking about the section of Quebec's law, I'm asking about the British Columbia's laws... ...which you should be able to provide me...