Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

Blackmail, in contrast to extortion, is when the offender threatens

Customer Question

Blackmail, in contrast to extortion, is when the offender threatens to reveal information about a victim or his family members that is potentially embarrassing, socially damaging, or incriminating unless a demand for money, property, or services is met.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: A person has threatened me with revealing this kind of information unless I pay him money.Is this a crime in Canada.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 6 months ago.
Hello, thank you for the question.Obviously, this could be sensitive so don't reveal any details that can identify you. Let's make sure this stays anonymous.Can you tell me more about what's going on?What province are you in?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A person has threatened to reveal hurtful,embarrassing,information to my family ,which would cause great distress for many ,unless I pay a fairly large sum of money,
I'll need more detail than that.Information about what?What is your relationship with the person?How much money are they asking for?Did they say to whom or how they would reveal this information?