Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

How much can I charge my tenet who does not leave when suppose

Customer Question

How much can I charge my tenet who does not leave when suppose to
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately you can't greatly increase the price in an effort to pressure the tenants to move out. Rent can only be increased in accordance with the guidelines, which are published annually. As such, you can only increase rent by a few percent usually 1-3% or so per year, and no more, even if the tenant is not leaving as scheduled. You can, however, bring an application to the LTB to have the tenant removed from the property if they are in breach of the lease. However, when a tenant overstays the lease, it becomes a month-to-month tenancy, and you can generally only have them removed if they are breaching the lease e.g. damaging property, not paying rent on time, etc.
Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive compensation for my services. Thank you.