Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Am looking at illegal download and notices JA: The Lawyer

Customer Question

am looking at illegal download and notices
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: someone download illegal movies on my open network and now there is a company who want me pay them $150 for each movie
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: i closed off my network
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: o wait
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The company who sent the notice to my internet provider is CANIPRE
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
This is a very common situation.What is your actual question? For example are you wondering if you have to pay them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I was wondering if I had to pay them. They gave me a deadline of Apr 21. They are asking for 150$ per illegal downloads (2 in total). By what I understand these notice to notice messages are to educate consumers, not asking for money with threat to sue. I am not running a business of illicit download and sales. This was my first notice.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
They cannot force you to pay. They don't know who you are. They only have your IP address and your internet provider sent this on their behalf as the internet provider will not give out your contact information. Many, many people have received these letter and I don't know one who has paid. You can just disregard it and that will be the end of it. If you reply back they will then have your contact information.