Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

Hows does my x wife get legal aid when her bank account is

Customer Question

hows does my x wife get legal aid when her bank account is over 150,000 dollars. She refuses to work full time, she wonts allomony for 19 yrs of our marriage. My lawyer fees have gone over 20.000 dollars. Don't even have a legal seperation because my lawyer says my x won't aggree on anything. I'm broke.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thank you for your question.It seems pretty clear that if your ex has that much in the bank that she shouldn't be getting Legal Aid. However, there may well be details about her coverage that you're unaware of. Perhaps she was borderline when she applied two years ago and she has coverage on a repayment plan. I've seen this happen before. You are correct assuming that your ex may well be dragging this out to cost you legal fees out of pocket, which will prompt you to settle on her terms or fire your lawyer which puts you at a disadvantage. It's a common strategy. Sadly, it works.Talk to your lawyer about bringing a motion for security for costs. That's a way of sending a message to the other side that there are monetary consequences even when on legal aid. It's not appropriate in every case, but when it is the right time for such a motion it can be very useful indeed.Here's the link to Alberta Legal Aid's page on reporting to it that clients might not be be continuing to be eligible. http://www.legalaid.ab.ca/information-resources/Pages/Complaints---If-a-person-may-be-receiving-coverage-when-ineligible.aspxI hope that helps. Anything else about this topic to discuss? If I've answered you then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm not sure if you have read what I wrote to you. Is there more to discuss about the legal aid topic? Any more questions or comment?Ulysses