Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

My common law wife has given me 1 week notice to leave our

Customer Question

My common law wife has given me 1 week notice to leave our home. We are both on title and the mortgage. We own 99% of the home her daughter and her common law wife live in the downstairs suite. They own 1% share.I think it's unfair that she is demanding this. She does make more money then I do, which she reminds me of daily. I can't afford to move out. I'm living pay cheque to pay cheque. I do pay my share for the household which does include her 20 year old son. I want to make things as fair as possible but she doesn't seem to think the same way.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 8 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

When you're on title, you're as much an owner as she is, and she doesn't have any authority to throw you out.

However, you run the risk of upping the ante. If she wants to play dirty, she'll take your papers that are hard to replace, or call the police to say you assaulted her.

It might be time to have a reasonable conversation. Say that if it's over then it's time to separate your lives. She earns more and if she wants the house she should buy out your share. See if you can keep it civil until there's a plan and you have a place to go.

In the meantime, keep your unique papers in a safe place, like tax returns and ID and insurance policies, change the PIN on your bank accounts and credit cards, change the passwords on your email and online banking, maybe start getting your mail delivered elsewhere. Better safe than sorry.

Does that make sense? I'll await your question or comment if any. If I've answered you may I please have a positive service rating?

(test)

Hello, I haven't heard back from you on your separation and property issue. Did you read what I wrote? Anything else to discuss?

Ulysses