Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

If I had a DUI and went a month without driving (I took the

Customer Question

If I had a DUI and went a month without driving (I took the bus to work), would I have problems entering and leaving Canada as a tourist?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You would not have trouble leaving Canada but this will impact your ability to enter very seriously.

Because of your criminal record at first you are considered to be inadmissible to Canada on the basis of criminality.

But, after 5 years has passed since your sentence as been completed it is sometimes possible to be deemed to have been rehabilitated when you reach the border. However, there's no guarantee as it's up to the discretion of the immigration office.

If you don't want to take a chance at the border the most prudent thing to do is to apply for individual rehabilitation. If this application is successful you will no longer have to be concerned about being turned away at the border.

But, it takes over a year to get this processed.

So, if you want to come up before then it's sometimes possible to get what is called a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP). This is sometimes granted in extraordinary cases only such as if you need to enter for a funeral or perhaps for business reasons.

Here is a link to the information about the TRP application:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/permits.asp

Here is the link to the webpage that explains how rehabilitation works:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp