How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 96938
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a popular youtube channel, and one of my haircare

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a popular youtube channel, and one of my haircare video has around 4 million hits. There is a company on Facebook that has take a clip from this video and is using it to promote their hair care product in an ad (like a commercial on Facebook) I have not given them permission to do this, and I would never use their product (as it goes against what I am promoting.. natural haircare). Many of my followers and I are upset about this company using my video in their advertisement. I was wondering if this is legal for them to do?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

No. It is not lawful. It is a breach of the Copyright Act.

Because you created the video you own its intellectual property rights and no one can use your video without your consent.

You can sue this company for damages and they will be required by the court to both remove their video and also to pay damages/compensation for using your video.

You can license out your video if you wish and allow someone to use it and they should pay you for it but that is always up to you and not to anyone else.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** contact a lawyer in my city? Would I look for a copy-right lawyer?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.
You should contact an intellectual property rights lawyer in your city.

Related Canada Law Questions