Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have been married to my husband years. He already moved

Customer Question

I have been married to my husband for 24 years. He already moved out of our house and wants a divorce. None of the assets that he owns are in my name (house,condo). We don't even have a joint bank account or credit cards together. The only money I have ever gotten from him is a monthly check for groceries. He owns several companies that are corporately owned. Im not sure what to do at this point and need advice. Thank you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately there is no doubt that what you need to do is to see a family lawyer and to do so at once.

After such a long marriage you will share equally in the value of all assets acquired during the marriage, aside from gifts and inheritances even if they are in his name and even if you did not contribute to them.

And if he has been supporting you all these years then he will be required to provide you with spousal support going forward.

If there are legal or financial documents in your home find them and at least make copies of them to show the lawyer.

And do not agree to anything at all with him until you've received legal advice from your own lawyer.

Does that help as a starting point.