How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98969
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently a US citizen and my girlfriend is a Canadian

Customer Question

Hello, i am currently a US citizen and my girlfriend is a Canadian citizen. 7 years ago, i was arrested and charged with two misdemeanors for possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphenlia. I went into a pretrial diversion and both of these misdemeanor charges were dismissed. If my girlfriend and I get married, is it still possible for me to move into Canada with her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are not inadmissible to Canada because the charges were dismissed. That means there was no finding of guilt and you do not have a criminal record.

So when you get married you spouse will be able to sponsor you for permanent residency status.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Related Canada Law Questions