Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I am a victim of PTSD. I have been declared permanently

Customer Question

I am a victim of PTSD. I have been declared permanently disabled. I recently was awarded a substantial amount from the government and my lawyer collected 20% plus costs.
My lawyer is now informing me that he is charging me 10% of my monthly disability payments for life as part of further payment!
He estimated that the lifespan of an average man in today's age is 81. So he wants me to pay him a big sum of cash up front and 10% of any and all future earnings ahead of time.
Is this even legal? I don't know how he came up with his figures. And the kicker is that he wants to settle in a "gentleman's way" by me paying him directly (under the table) to save me the taxes.
Never had a good feeling about this and I am desperate for help.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
What province are you in please?Did you sign a retainer agreement with this lawyer?