Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I received a Violation Ticket in Black Diamond Alberta. I

Customer Question

I received a Violation Ticket in Black Diamond Alberta. I was driving 118 km in a 60 Km zone. It should be noted the 60 KM zone was on a rural road in is a short section infront of a horse racing track. It was 6 am on a weekday, I was on my way to work.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have an upcoming court date, April 6 and want to ensure I minimize my fine and demerit point penalty.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

It is not a legal excuse to say that it was early in the morning or that this was a rural route or that it was a weekday or that it was in front of a racetrack. The judge will not consider any of those factors as valid as they simple have no relevance. You were charged with speeding and not with something like dangerous driving.

So your best approach would be to try and make a deal with the Crown where you plead guilty to a lesser speeding to reduce the demerit points and fine. The Crown almost always agrees to do this to save the court time for a full trial.

I am sorry that this is not the answer you were likely hoping for but the only way to help you is to be both honest and accurate and in fact making this deal will almost for sure help you out quite a bit.