Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I am a senior Canadian who has lived in the same apt. years.

Customer Question

I am a senior Canadian who has lived in the same apt. for 8 years. Yesterday I left the bathtub running and ended up causing extensive water damage to my apt. and 3/4 of the hallway outside my door.
A company arrived who was in my apt. till 11pm last night.
I received a letter from Management saying that I was responsible for all damage and follow up repairs to my own and the entranceway to the apt. next door.
Because today is a holiday I could not speak to the correct person re this claim.
I have had a condition called Attention Deficit Disorder and this is the reason I forgot about the running tub until 3/4 hour later.
The Management company is notoriously cheap.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

I am not sure what your question is. Are you asking if you are liable to pay for this?

If so the answer is that you are. It doesn't matter whether you have a disability or not. You are liable to pay all the damages as that is how the law works. And it is not about the management company being cheap either. It is about the law which is clearly that if someone is at fault for causing damages they have to pay for them.

Whether your insurance covers you or not is another issue but if you are covered for accidental water damage then the insurance will cover you. If you are not covered for this type of accident then you may not receive coverage. So it really depends on what your policy contains and what you are paying for.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Legal Ease.June Castro

You are very welcome.

If you feel we are done please rate me as I cannot get credit for my work until you do.

Be well.