Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My name is ***** *****, and speeding, On my way back from

Customer Question

Hello, my name is ***** *****, and speeding
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: On my way back from mont-tremblant (I live in Ottawa) the speed limit drops from 90 to 50 in Notre dame de la paix. As I saw the 50 sign I laid my foot off gas to coast down to the acceptable limit. Maybe within 100m of the 50 sign the office was there and said he clocked me at 80. Pulled me over and gave me 30 over 2 points and 194$ fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My question would be if
1. I would have any grounds for defense in court to drop the charge
2. Would it be possible to push the court date of apr 11 since I was going to drop of high risk insurance in June but this ticket will put me back in
3. If I plead guilty with explanation and try to talk to the crown for a lesser fine what could I expect
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

It is not a defence that you could not slow down in time when you saw the sign.

You can seek an adjournment if you provide a good reason that you cannot attend.

You can likely make a deal with the Crown and plead guilty to a lesser speed with less or no points as the Crown will want to avoid a trial.

So you would plead not guilty and then try and make a deal in Court.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your response, What would be a good reason I cannot attend? And if I request disclosure and officers notes would that matter or they would keep the same date

You are not available for that date? You have an appointment?

The date would be the same most likely buy you can try that and see what happens.