Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I have an abusive adult son living with me. He doesn't work

Customer Question

Hi. I have an abusive adult son living with me. He doesn't work or help with anything. He acts so angry, stomping around the house breaking things, sometimes I'm hostage in my room for fear. If I leave, I'll need to pay rent somewhere else and will lose our house. Is there a legal way to have him removed?
I've read that the police will say that he had the right to be this way.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

What province are you in?

How old is your son?

You say "our house", who is on title to the home?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In Alberta. My son is 38. Title in mine

So you want him out of your home, which makes sense. What will the downsides be? Is he paying rent or contributing to bills? Is there anything holding you back from getting him out?

I only ask because if you invoke your rights as property owner, that's taking a pretty firm stand with a family member. I'm not encouraging you to live in fear, but this process once started would be hard to undo.

If you really want him to change his behaviour, is there any other family member aware of the situation who might be able to intervene?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 9 months ago.

I'm still here if you want to discuss this of your son in your home. If you have found your help or information elsewhere, that's fine. Don't forget about your deposit to the site (if you made one).

Ulysses