Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My mother has Korean citizenship, but does not have Canadian

Customer Question

My mother has Korean citizenship, but does not have Canadian residency. She purchased a house in Vancouver last May, but she wants to sell the house, and to buy a different one downtown. We heard that it is not possible to do that, because she is a foreigner, and the Canadian government will seize the money. I would like to know whether or not she can reinvest her money in another house while saving the rest of the money in a Canadian bank. Is it okay for her freely to sell her house and then buy another house, although she is a foreigner and she didn't actually live in Canada for a year?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.
What you heard is incorrect. But, did the house increase in value from the time she bought it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the value of the house has increased from 900,000 to 1,400,000 Canadian dollar. We wonder whether it is okay to sell the house and to buy a 900,000$ house in a downtown, while saving the rest of the money in the Canadian bank. What restrictions do we need to consider? Thank you.

Your mother will have to pay capital gains tax on the increase in value.

And there is a 25% withholding tax that your mother will be subject to when she sells the house. It will be based on the increase in value.

But she will then file a tax return as a non-resident and if the withholding tax was too high she will get a refund.

So buying another house is of course your mother's choice but it doesn't save her from paying these taxes.