Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a paramedic and CUpe873 is my Union. Another paramedic

Customer Question

I am a paramedic and CUpe873 is my Union. Another paramedic assaulted me in 2014 on the job. In October of 2014 I asked for Union Representation and they finally filed a grievance 3.03 and 31:03 in October 2015. I am still waiting for ANY action to take place. The IMPARTIAL investigation should have happened shortly after the grievance was filed 3:04. My President of the Executive has constantly played emails games, and NO ONE from the highest level of CUPE will respond to my telephone messages or emails. I have 24 yrs of service and as a result of this assault, and lack of support from my Union and the cover up and lies from my employer the PTSD I was diagnosed with in 2014 is getting worse. I TRY to live on $906 a month, the Law Centre will not take on my case because of the duration it may take. What are my next steps. Lisa
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.

Do you understand the law in terms of what your options are or is that what you are asking about?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I want to know what can I do if my Union continues to not follow our Collective Agreement at all levels of the Union
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Your union owes you a duty of fair representation. If they fail to represent you fairly they could be liable to you for damages.

Therefore, your next step would be to consult with a labour lawyer face to face with a view to getting advice about how best to file a complaint of unfair representation with the labour board.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thank you

You are very welcome.

As we are done please rate me before you leave so that I can receive credit for my work.

Take good care.