Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My son has a car that i did not co-sign for, and has

Customer Question

My son has a car that i did not co-sign for, and has defualted on his payments. The bank did not want to repossess his car as it is too old and not worth it to them to try to auction it off. He lives in China. He has left the car on someone else's property, and the other person now wants to sell parts off the car and discard the rest. Who owns the car? Can he legally do this? Or would this be vandalism
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I have not co-signed the loan. My son cannot make payments, as he lives in a communist country and is not able to get money out of the country. The vehicle has basically been abandoned on someone else's property. Doe the other person have the right to selvage it for parts, or is this illegal?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I live in Alberta, Canada
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

Your son owns the car.

The bank does not.

So as long as your son agrees that this person can take the car apart there is no concern.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Even though the bank still has a loan on the car?

But they told you they don't want the car.

So they aren't going to repossess it.

They are done with it.

They just want their money and can go after your son personally but the car is not theirs and not their concern.