Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

I have been charged with Assault 266 and Utter Threat first

Customer Question

Hello I have been charged with Assault 266 and Utter Threat for the first time but my intentions were merely reflex
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I went to my ex-fiancé's house yesterday and my intention was to pick up the rest of my things from his house. My anger got the best of me and instead of saying I need my stuff back I attempted to slap his face. He stopped me however and I was shaking and I could not let go of his arm. We had a few exchange of words and he agitated me and I punched his stomach but not enough to make him gasp of heave. We had more exchange of words (non-threatening on my part). That evening a police officer came to my house and served me with papers and a court date.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 7 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Were there any witnesses to this event?

When is your court date?

Do you have a criminal record?

I'm still here if you want to discuss your criminal law matter. Or perhaps you've got a lawyer of your own by now?