Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can I sue drake and Future writing and have vivid lyrics in

Customer Question

Can I sue drake and Future for ghost writing for them and have vivid lyrics in some songs that has my name and birthday?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did they hire you to write lyrics and then not pay you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They hacked my phone but they didn't hire me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was basically an invasion of privacy
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

So essentially you are saying that you wrote the lyrics to some of their songs, and you were not the ghost writing but they stole them from you because they were able to hack your phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

If they hacked your phone then you should report this to the police.

And yes, you can certainly sue them if they stole your lyrics. If you wrote the songs and you didn't have an agreement with the that they would own the lyrics then you own them as this would be your intellectual property and you can sue them for considerable damages.

You would clearly have to prove you wrote the lyrics of course.

Your best next step would be to consult with an intellectual property rights lawyer face to face with a view to retaining the lawyer to send them a letter demanding significant compensation and threatening a lawsuit.