MontrealLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in criminal, business and commercial law both in private practice and in-house.

Can an Individual be charged with Parental Interference in a

Customer Question

Can an Individual be charged with Parental Interference for taking in a 14 year old runaway when the parent does not agree?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  MontrealLawyer replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm a criminal defence lawyer practising in Québec.

To answer your question briefly, it is a crime in Canada to harbour a runaway minor. If you allow a minor child to stay with you without reporting the child to the police, there is a high likelihood you will be charged with the criminal offence of harbouring a runaway minor and face all the consequences possible under the Criminal Code of Canada.

Unfortunately, a minor does not have the right to leave their parent's home until they have reached the age of 18 or obtained legal emancipation.

I would strongly suggest, that if you, or someone you know, are harbouring a runaway minor, to report the runaway to the local police and your local youth protection service, unless you are willing to risk criminal charges brought up against you, once the minor is discovered to have stayed in your house.

Expert:  MontrealLawyer replied 6 months ago.
Hello, can you please leave a rating on the answer I gave you. Thank you.